Posts Tagged ‘3.1’
After you have jailbroken the iPhone firmware 3.1, you will discover there is no carrier logo (pictured above on the left). In the settings, it can’t display the carrier you are using. But, the phone functions actually still work. You can still call your friends and get online. Hence, it would be only a cosmetic issue.
If you feel uncomfortable and just want the carrier logo, you can try to install the MakeItMine freeware from Cydia. Type the name of the carrier you are using, and click “Carrier” at the top left. Quit the app and you will have the carrier text.(pictured above on the right) I know it does not really solve the problem, and the text won’t change after you switch the SIM card, but it actually looks better than nothing. Right?
- GOLDEN RULE: If you are using a iPhone 3G or iPhone 3G(S) with ultrasn0w and rely on ultrasn0w to obtain cellular service then you should only update your device with an .ipsw that is made with the new PwnageTool. There are no second chances with this. You need to remember that PwnageTool will provide an upgrade path to newer versions of the iPhone software in the future.
- Please read all parts of this post before downloading and using these tools.
- Read items 1, 2 and 3 again and again.
- At the bottom of this post are the bittorrent files for the 3.1 capable version of PwnageTool.
- PwnageTool will work for the iPhone 3GS assuming you have already Pwned it at 3.0 or 3.0.1
- PwnageTool will work for the iPod touch 2G assuming you have already Pwned it at 3.0 or 3.0.1
- PwnageTool WILL work for Original iPhone (1st Generation), the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G(S) and the iPod touch (1st Generation and 2nd Generation) but NOT the iPod touch 3rd generation.
- For 3G and 3G(S) users who are Pwned, PwnageTool is your key to updating in the future, just remember to never install an update directly from Apple, always use an .ipsw that has been created with PwnageTool.
- There is no Windows version of PwnageTool it is a Mac OS X tool only, we are not developing a Windows version of PwnageTool.
But don’t worry…our PwnageTool program — when it’s updated for 3.1 — will let you update your main firmware without touching your baseband firmware, so you can still have the best of both worlds. But you must be diligent about saying “no” to your iTunes request this week to update your firmware.
Update: We’re currently working on PwnageTool for 3.1, and will be sure to let you know when it’s available!
The new iPhone 3.1 firmware adds the following new features…
Genius Recommendations for Apps
Get recommendations for apps you might like based on apps you’ve already downloaded.
Have iTunes create up to 12 playlists based on what’s already in your library. You don’t even have to choose a sample song.
Download Ringtones Wirelessly
Choose from thousands of iPhone ringtones on the iTunes Store and buy them with a tap.
Organize Apps in iTunes
Use iTunes on your computer to drag apps onto virtual Home screens, then sync them to your iPhone.
AppleInsider has also posted a list of the fixes in 3.1:
* Improved syncing for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and photos
* iTunes U content organization
* Redeem iTunes Gift Cards, codes, and certificates in the App Store
* Display available iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store
* Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll
* Option to “Save as new clip” when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS
* Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on
* Remotely lock iPhone with a passcode via MobileMe
* Use Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets
* Paste phone numbers into the keypad
* Option to use Home button to turn on accessibility features on iPhone 3GS
* Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing)
* Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling
* Fixes issue that cause some app icons to display incorrectly
The iPhone 3.1 update is available for free and the iPod 3.1.1 update is available for $4.95 to those who already purchased 3.0.
iPhone firmware 3.1 come out – ไอโฟน เวอร์ชั่น 3.1 ออกแล้วครับ
Rock Out without Lockout
This week Apple will be all over the news with their announcements at Wednesday’s “Let’s Rock” event. But with so many new owners of the iPhone 3GS, and with so many new owners of the iPhone 3G (perhaps sold to them buy these new 3GS owners)…now is a good time to send out this general advisory.
If you update to Apple’s new software using the normal iTunes process, you will lose your ultrasn0w unlock. In fact you may lose it permanently, because for most people the baseband firmware cannot be reverted to a previous version (unlike the main application CPU firmware).
But don’t worry…our PwnageTool program let’s you update your main firmware without touching your baseband firmware, so you can still have the best of both worlds. But you must be diligent about saying “no” to your iTunes request this week to update your firmware.
Apple is expected on 18 September, the new 3.1 firmware release. This was announced by a developer who discovered that the Current Beta 3 firmware 3.1 on 18 September forfeited. Most of the official versions of 1-3 days before the Beta Relase be published.
Joe Hewitt, the developer of Facebook for iPhone has detailed some of the upcoming features in Facebook 3.1.
ReadWriteWeb had a chance to talk with Hewitt and learn more about the app’s roadmap. In the interview he mentioned three new features…
Contact list synchronization between your Facebook friends list and your phone’s contact list
“It’s a Terms of Service thing more than a technical limitation,”
“I plan to have it in the next major update, the 3.1. It will be the same kind of notifications you get on the website. I probably won’t right off the bat give you chat notifications. If you’ve ever used Facebook’s SMS notifications, you can have pretty granular control and it will be the same level of notification in terms of whose notifications you see and what categories you see.”
Saved, site-wide search
“I hope but I can’t promise to get that into the 3.1 update,” Hewitt said. “We’re still working on getting that into the API. I’m also hoping to let you save a search to your home screen.”
No word yet on the planned release date for Facebook 3.1; however, we will let you know as soon as anymore information is available.
There are several iPhone explosion cases across the Europe. French authorities is really concerned about the problem. Some report said iPhone is overheated, but Apple denies it. They have made an official responses saying it may not be Apple’s fault. They said the incidents may be caused by external force. Apple Europe wants the victim to give them the broken iPhones for further investigations.
The number of cases remains single digit, but it’s not sure whether it will grow or not. No one has confirmed the iPhone has battery overheat problem, yet…
Evernote for iPhone 3.1 brings huge speed improvements for searching and snapping, a bunch of new features, and some nice bug fixes.
Evernote lets you remember and recall anything that happens in your life. From notes to ideas to snapshots to recordings, put everything into Evernote and watch as everything instantly synchronizes from the iPhone to the Web, to your Mac or Windows desktop.
WHATS NEW IN THIS VERSION:
Things got a whole lot faster in the latest iPhone update. Creating both snapshot and camera roll notes is way way speedier than ever before. So get ready for less waiting and more snapping.
Clip web pages
Evernote has a built-in web browser, which allows you to quickly open links found within your notes. Now you can do more than just visit the webpages, you can also clip them into your account. To use this feature, tap the Clip to Evernote option found within the Send To menu at the bottom of the browser screen.
Email to Evernote
All Evernote users get their own special email address. Now, Evernote for iPhone makes it easy to add that address to your phone’s contacts. This may not seem like a big deal at first glance, but just think of all the useful stuff that comes through your email every single day. Wouldn’t it be great if you could easily capture that for later? Now you can. Just forward it to Evernote. This feature is found in the Evernote Account tab.
Sync on command
Evernote now lets you sync whenever you like. In the Account tab, tap Synchronize Now to have Evernote start sync’ing. Evernote will still auto-sync every so often, but sometime you just can’t wait.
Bug fixes all around
In addition to the great new features, this release is full of bug fixes making for a smoother, more stable Evernote experience.